Saturday, February 20, 2016

Liquid Dish Soap


Did you know that you can make your own dish soap for next to nothing? or how about laundry soap? I know for me the cost of shampoo and conditioner is breaking my budget. So let's start with some household items that I know you will love. I've been making most of these "recipes" for awhile and as I tweak them I'll be sure and updating the information to you.


Liquid Dish Soap

1/2 cup grated soap (I used Kirk’s Castile soap)*
4 cups water
1 Tbs vegetable glycerin 
(optional: used as a hand moisturizer)
10 drops Lemon
10 drops Grapefruit
10 drops Wild Orange
10 drops Lime
(I used this combination because the citrus helps cut grease)

Directions: 
Grate bar of soap. In a saucepan add water and 1/2 cup grated soap. Over 
low/medium heat gently heat without bringing to a boil until all the soap has dissolved. 
Add in vegetable glycerin and stir well. Place in a jar. After cooling for a short time 
(30 minutes to an hour; adding to soon will take away the effectiveness of the oils) 
add in combination of essential oils and allow to set up for 24 hours, stirring 
occasionally.
Pour into a soap pump or squeezable container. Give it a shake, and enjoy!

Below are other oils to try.

10 drops lemon, 10 drops grapefruit, 10 drops wild orange, 10 drops lime (this is what I used)
15 drops lemongrass, 15 drops tangerine
15 drops wild orange, 15 drops peppermint
20 drops lemon, 15 drops eucalyptus
15 drops lemon, 15 drops thyme
5 drops cinnamon, 20 drops wild orange

My hubby and I have made this and used it. I love the aroma and he (being my main "Hand" dish washer) loves the way it cuts through the grease.  We put the citrus oils in; they help cut the grease. It didn't gel up as well as I would have liked so I'll be playing around with it to see if I can get a better consistency. Just remember in most of these recipes that the lack of suds Does Not mean it's not working. You won't get the bubbles but it will do the job, trust me. 

Give it a try and let me know what you think.

***Update: I ended up placing this dish soap recipe in a empty foaming pump dispenser I had kept. I can't tell you how wonderful it works. Just pump it onto a sponge and start washing dishes. It really foams up well when used this way.

If you want to download the "Recipe Card" shown below just pres HERE.


As always, Thanks for visiting my Blog and God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment